Korean Net (www.korean.net) Personal Information Protection
The Overseas Koreans Foundation establishes and discloses the following personal information handling policy for the protection of the personal information of information owners in accordance with Article 30 of the Personal Information Protection Act, and for the prompt and smooth handling of problems relating to personal information. The foundation respects your rights to request to view, correct, and delete the personal information retained by the foundation, in accordance with the provisions of relevant laws and statutes. For violations of your rights according to relevant laws and statutes, you may file administrative appeals in accordance with the provisions of the Administrative Appeals act.
We thank you for using the websites of our foundation (hereinafter, “websites” shall refer in general to Korean Net, Study Korean, Hansang net, the World Korean Business Convention registration site, The World Korean Community Leaders Convention, Korean Festival, the Overseas Koreans Foundation website, and the website materials database). The personal information handling policy for the website is based on the current Personal Information Protection Act and the Enforcement Decree of the Personal Information Protection Act. SSO (Single Sign On) information can be used on the websites operated by the foundation to access the following sites, and you are informed that the present policy, unless otherwise explained, applies to all websites operated by the foundation.
|Site name||Website address|
|세계한상대회 등록사이트 World Korean Business Convention registration site||hansang.korean.net|
|재외동포재단 홈페이지 OKF website||www.okf.or.kr|
|재외동포재단 자료실 OKF Library||research.korean.net|
|재외동포재단 인재채용 OKF Recruit||ncs.okf.or.kr|
Article 1 (Purpose of personal information handling)
The Overseas Koreans Foundation handles personal information for the following purposes, and personal information shall not be used for purposes other than the following.
- A. Website membership registration and management
- - Confirmation of membership registration intent, personal identification and verification for furnishing of members-only services, maintaining and managing membership qualifications, verification of identify in accordance with the Limited Verification of Identity policy, preventing illegal use of services, verification of consent from a legal guardian for handling of personal information for minors below 14 years of age, various notices and announcements, etc.
- B. Furnishing of services
- - Introduction to the foundation and public announcements, provision of educational content, identity verification for convention registration, furnishing of services such as employment-related information
- C. Handling of civil petitions
- - Identification of the petitioner, verification of petition details, contact for investigation of facts and notices, notification of handling results
Article 2 (Handling and retention periods for personal information)
The Overseas Koreans foundation handles, utilizes, and retains personal information for the personal information retention and utilization period prescribed by law, or the personal information retention and utilization period agreed to by the information owner upon the collection of personal information.
■ Personal information handling and retention periods
|Name of personal information file||Overseas Korean figures and groups DB||Korean Net member list||OKF Recruit|
|Personal information items collected||ID, name (Korean), name (English), date of birth, gender, country of residence, telephone number, e-mail, registration path, personality classification, nationality (continent), nationality (country), group (company), academic background, career, etc.||ID, name (Korean), name (English), date of birth, gender, country of residence, telephone number, e-mail, registration path, etc.||Name, e-mail|
|Method of collection||Online/offline||Online||Online|
|Retaining department||e-Global Korean Department||e-Global Korean Department||e-Global Korean Department|
|Grounds for retention||Operation of the Outstanding Overseas Korean Society Manpower database pursuant to Article 3, Paragraph 2 of the Enforcement Decree of the Overseas Koreans Foundation Act||Member management for furnishing of Korean Net services||Member management for providing of employment information for the Overseas Korean Foundation|
|Retention period||Semi-permanent||Within 7 days of membership withdrawal||Immediate discarding after employment|
The foundation promises to strictly adhere to relevant laws and statutes in the use and furnishing of personal information to prevent illegal or unfair use.
- ※ The “Overseas Korean figures and groups DB” managed by the foundation may be used as follows for key government policies and outstanding manpower management.
- - Use for advisory and publicity for key state policies
- - Cross-utilization of talent
- - Utilization from the economic or cultural aspect
- - Establishing policies for overseas Koreans, supporting the establishment of policy directions or standards for support strategies
- - Cases where a public agency has requested such information and has specified the reason why the information is necessary for the protection of rights and interests of overseas Koreans
※ For more details on the disclosure of personal information files retained by the Overseas Koreans Foundation, please refer to the Ministry of the Interior's personal information protection support portal(www.privacy.go.kr) → Personal information public services → Requests for viewing, etc. of personal information → Search personal information file list.
Article 3 (Furnishing of personal information to third parties for processing)
By principle, the Overseas Koreans Foundation handles the personal information of users within the scope specified in Article 1 (Purpose of personal information handling). The foundation shall not, without prior consent from a member, exceed the original handling scope or furnish such information to third parties. Personal information, however, may be furnished to a third party in the following cases.
- ■ The following cases
- 1. Cases where the user has given prior consent to furnishing and disclosure to third parties
- 2. Cases where furnishing is mandated by laws and statutes, etc.
- 3. Personal information necessary for the carrying out of agreements to the furnishing of services, where it is substantially difficult to receive normal consent due to economic/technical causes
- 4. Cases where information is used after processing in a manner where personal identities cannot be specified
Article 4 (Outsourcing of personal information handling)
To ensure smooth handling of personal information-related affairs, the Overseas Koreans Foundation outsources personal information handling as follows.
|Consignee||details of consigned affairs||personal information retention and utilization period|
|Consigned operation and maintenance of the Overseas Koreans Foundation information system||Until termination of consignment agreement|
|Overseas Koreans Foundation IT infrastructure (hardware/software) operation and maintenance||Until termination of consignment agreement|
e-eun Connecting Communication
|Consigned online publicity for Korean Net and Hansang Net (including foundation SNS)||Until termination of consignment agreement|
|Consigned operation of the 15th World Korean Business Convention||Until termination of consignment agreement|
|Operation of 1:1 business meetings||Until termination of consignment agreement|
Digital Seoul Culture Arts University
|The 2016 online training curriculum for Korean language school instructors||Until termination of consignment agreement|
EWHA WOMANS UNIVERSITY
|2016 invitational short/long-term training programs for Korean language instructors in the CIS region||Until termination of consignment agreement|
EXTENTION College SNU
|2016 tailored cyber training programs for Korean language school instructors||Until termination of consignment agreement|
|Consigned operation of the 2016 Korean Festival||Until termination of consignment agreement|
EWHA WOMANS UNIVERSITY
|Korean language training for the 19th chapter of Overseas Koreans Foundation invitational scholarship students||Until termination of consignment agreement|
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies
|Korean language training for the 19th chapter of Overseas Koreans Foundation invitational scholarship students||Until termination of consignment agreement|
|Consigned operation of 2016 Study Korean||Until termination of consignment agreement|
|Program for adoption and modification of e-government framework on Korean Net||Until termination of consignment agreement|
Public I-PIN center
|I-Pin verification service||Personal information already retained by consignee and that is not saved separately|
- A. Supervision and management of conclusion of consignment agreements
- - Upon conclusion of consignment agreements, the Overseas Koreans Foundation, in accordance with Article 26 of the Personal Information Protection Act, specifies in the document the prohibition of handling personal information for any purpose other than for performance of entrusted affairs, technical and administrative protection measures for personal information, prohibition of subcontracting, management and supervision of consignees, and liability for compensation of damages, and supervises the consignor’s safe handling of personal information.
- B. Disclosure of consigned affairs
- - Changes to the details of consigned affairs or the consignees shall be disclosed without delay through this personal information handling policy
Article 5 (Rights and obligations of information owners, and means of exercising the same)
- The owners of information may at any time exercise the personal information-related rights listed in the following with respect to the Overseas Koreans Foundation.
- * For requests, please consult the Personal Information (viewing/correction or deletion/suspension of handling) Request form
- A. Requests to view personal information
- - Viewing of personal information fields retained by the Overseas Koreans Foundation may be requested in accordance with Article 35 (Inspection of Personal Information) of the Personal Information Protection Act. In the following cases, viewing may be restricted in accordance with Article 35, Paragraph 5 of the act.
- * Cases where viewing is prohibited or restricted by law
- * Where it is apprehended that any third person's life and body may be harmed, or any third person's property and other interests may be unduly infringed
- * Where a public institution causes any inconvenience while carrying out any of the following affairs
- * Affairs concerning tests of academic ability, functions and employment, and qualification evaluation
- * Affairs concerning an audit and an investigation in progress under other Acts
- B. Requests for correction of errors, etc.
- - If the owner of information has requested correction or deletion of an error in personal information, then the Overseas Koreans Foundation shall not use or furnish such personal information until the correction or deletion has been completed.
- - The rights pursuant to Paragraph 1 may be exercised through a legal representative or person who has been delegated the authority of the information owner
- C. Requests for deletion
- Deletion of personal information fields retained by the Overseas Koreans Foundation may be requested in accordance with Article 36 (Correction or Deletion of Personal Information) of the Personal Information Protection Act. If the personal information concerned is specified as subject to collection under another Act, then deletion may not be requested.
- D. Requests for suspension of handling (Retracting of consent)
- - The consent given to collection, utilization, and furnishing of personal invention upon membership registration may be withdrawn at any time. In cases where the foundation is required to preserve the personal information, this may be restricted according to the provisions of law or the terms and conditions.
- * To withdraw consent, use the “Request membership withdrawal” menu on the website, or contact the personal information management officer by document, telephone, or e-mail
- * ID and personal identification information must be disclosed to verify identity. Withdrawal of consent may lead to service restrictions or inability to use some services.
- E. Refusing consent
- - Upon membership registration, consent to the terms and conditions and the personal information handling policy may be refused. Upon refusal of consent, use of some services may be restricted.
Article 6 (Installation and operation of automatic personal information collection devices, and refusal)
Upon accessing the website of the foundation, the following items may be automatically generated and collected while using Internet services.
- A. Automatically collected cookies
Automatically collected cookies Items collected Purpose of collection Remarks IP address, cookies, MAC address, service usage records, access records, inappropriate use records, browser type, OS, and other information that is automatically collected and saved. Statistical analysis for website improvement and supplementation, analyses for smooth communications between the website and members. Information may be submitted in accordance with the provisions of the law.
- B. Installation and operation of cookies, and refusal
- - Users may opt not to allow installation of cookies. Users wishing not to have cookies collected may select among the following options on their web browser.
- * Allow all cookies
- * Ask whenever saving cookies
- * Refuse all cookies
- - Refusing cookies may cause difficulties in using some services that require login.
- - How to configure cookie installation preferences (for Internet Explorer)
- * Select [Tools] [Internet Options]
- * Click [Personal Information Tab]
- * Set [Personal Information Handling Level]
Article 7 (Discarding of personal information)
When the personal information retention period has lapsed, the purpose of personal information handling has been achieved, or personal information has otherwise become unnecessary, the Overseas Koreans foundation shall discard this personal information without delay.
- A. Discarding procedure
- - Establish personal information discarding plan for personal information (or personal information file)
- * The personal information (or personal information files), for which a cause for discarding has arisen, is selected. It is then discarded with approval from the Overseas Koreans Foundation’s “Personal Information Protection Officer.”
- B. Method of discarding
- - Electronic files: Recorded or saved personal information is discarded so that records cannot be restored.
- - Printed materials: Personal information recorded in paper documents are incinerated or shredded.
- - In cases where the personal information retention period given consent to by the information owner has lapsed or the purpose of handling has been achieved, but personal information must be retained in accordance with other acts, the personal information (or personal information file) concerned shall be moved to a separate database (DB) or preserved in a separate retention location.
Article 8 (Means to ensure safety of personal information)
The Overseas Koreans Foundation takes the following actions to ensure the safety of personal information.
- A. Administrative measures
- - Establishment and implementation of internal management plans, employee education at regular intervals, etc.
- - Scheduled in-house inspection (once per semester) are carried out, and actions are taken as needed.
- B. Technical measures
- - Management of access privileges to the personal information handling system, installation of access control systems, installation and operation of personal information management program (P-square), installation and operation of personal information output management program (epoint), encryption of unique identifier information, installation of security programs, technical countermeasures to hacking, etc.
- C. Physical measures
- - Restricted access to computer rooms and materials storage rooms, prohibition of access by unauthorized personnel
Article 9 (Personal information protection officer)
The Overseas Koreans Foundation designates the following personal information protection officers. They have general authority and responsibility over personal information handling affairs, handle complaints from information owners relating to the handling of personal information, and help address any damage suffered.
- A. Personal information protection supervisor
Personal information protection supervisor Personal information protection supervisor of the Overseas Koreans Foundation Personal information protection officer of the Overseas Koreans Foundation •Department: e-Global Korean Department
•Name: Hong-Jong Jang (General manager)
•Department: e-Global Korean Department
•Name: Young-Min Kim (Assistant Manager)
- B. Personal information protection sub-officer
- - Please direct all inquiries, complaints, and matters relating to addressing of damages relating to personal information while using the Overseas Koreans Foundation’s services (or programs) to the personal information protection officers or the relevant departments.
Personal information protection sub-officer Category Position Department Contact information Personal information protection supervisor General manager e-Global Korean Department +82-2-3415-0191 Personal information protection sub-officer General manager Strategic Planning Bureau +82-2-3415-0121 General manager Management Support Department +82-2-3415-0131 General manager Overseas Koreans Association Support Department +82-2-3415-0141 General manager Education Support Department +82-2-3415-0161 General manager Future Generations Department +82-2-3415-0171 General manager Public Relations and Culture Department +82-2-3415-0181 General manager Hansang Business Department +82-2-3415-0151 General manager e-Global Korean Department +82-2-3415-0191 General manager Research & Study Department +82-2-3415-0091
Article 10 (Means of addressing violations of rights or interests)
If an information owner suffers a violation of his/her personal information rights or interests, then the violation may be reported to the relevant bodies such as the personal information violation report center. In cases where a disposition or nonfeasance by the head of a public agency in response to an information owner's request for viewing, correction, deletion, or suspension of handling of personal information has led to the violation of the rights or interests of the information owner, an administrative appeal may be applied in accordance with the provisions of the Administrative Appeals act.
- ■ Agencies for reporting and counseling on personal information violations
- 1. Personal Information Violation Reporting Center: (No area code) 118 (http://privacy.kisa.or.kr)
- 2. Personal Information Dispute Mediation Committee: 02-405-5150 (http://www.kopico.or.kr)
- 3. Cyber Crimes Investigation Unit, Supreme Prosecutors’ Office: 02-3480-3571 (http://www.spo.go.kr)
- 4. Cyber Terrorism Response Center, National Police Agency: 1566-0112 (http://www.netan.go.kr)
Article 11 (Revision of the personal information protection policy)
This personal information protection policy shall enter into effect from Nov. 8, 2016.
The previous personal information protection policy may be viewed below.
- - Date of public announcement: Jan. 5, 2017 ~ Jan. 11, 2017 Apply (Click)
- - Effective date: Jan. 12, 2017 - Ongoing ~
View the previous personal information handling policy (Jul. 12, 2016 - Sep. 7, 2016)