Civil Services for Overseas Koreans

Laws and Regulations

  • The Easy Legal Information Service, toward conveniences for the business and the people.
  • The Customized Legal Information Service Project builds a new statutory information infrastructure, which regroups complicated statutory relationships and presents them in the context of plausible scenarios, and provides clear interpretations of complicated laws and regulations.

Ministry of Government Legislation(MOLEG) provides practical law information services so that users may conveniently address the common legal issues that occur in everyday life, without the necessity of resorting to legal experts.
Search article
법령 및 규정 게시글(코리안넷 | 재외동포민원 | 법령 및 규정)
[Civil and Criminal Process] Administrative Litigation

An administrative lawsuit may be filed in respect of an illegal disposition by or omission of an administrative agency, each by a person who has a legal interest in such disposition or omission. If there is a defect in the requirement for the filing of lawsuits, the administrative lawsuit filed would be dismissed without prejudice as an unlawful suit. Moreover, an administrative lawsuit (suit for revocation) shall be filed within 90 days of the date on which there is an awareness of the disposition, etc., and within 1 year of the date of the disposition, etc. Thus, the content of this section is intended to assist with the filing of administrative lawsuits and granting of relief by comprehensively providing information on statutes relating to administrative litigation and organizing the contents according to the procedure for filing administrative lawsuits.

[Traffic/Driving] Using Public Transportation

The information listed below will help you respond to problems that may arise while using public transportation, such as the subway, buses, and taxis, so that you can travel safely and enjoyably in cities.

[Traffic/Driving] Driver's License

To drive a motor vehicle in Korea, you need a driver's license. To get a driver's license, you must pass the driver's license exam.

If you hold an international driver's permit issued by a country with which Korea has a road and transport agreement, you can drive on that permit for up to one year from the date of your arrival in Korea, without acquiring a Korean driver's license.

A holder of a foreign driver's license can apply for a Korean driver's license by confirming the validity of his or her foreign driver's license with documents provided by the embassy of his or her home country, and then must pass an aptitude test and/or a driving knowledge test.

All of the other legal information you need about how to acquire and maintain a driver's license, as well as how your license can be cancelled or suspended in the event of a traffic infringement, is provided below.

[Traffic/Driving] Traffic and Driving

The purpose of the Traffic Act is to ensure the safe and smooth flow of traffic by eliminating and preventing dangers and obstacles to road traffic. Compliance with the Traffic Act is essential to ensure the safe and convenient use of vehicles.

『Traffic and Driving』provides the necessary legal information and is classified into ① Preparations for Driving a Vehicle, ② Safe Driving on Public Roads, ③ Violations of the Traffic Act, and ④ Traffic Accidents.

[Working/Labor] Employment of Foreign Workers

In order for foreigners to be employed in the Republic of Korea. they must acquire status of stay eligible for employment. The scope of employment for a foreign worker to engage in is determined according to the status of stay he/she acquires.

The governing law for the employment of foreign workers whose status of stay is either Non-professional Employment (E-9) or Working Visit (H-2) is the Act on the Employment, Etc. of Foreign Workers.

A foreign worker is entitled to a legal status as a worker in the Republic of Korea. Accordingly, such foreign worker is guaranteed fundamental labor rights and social basic rights under the relevant laws regarding social security, and if such labor related rights are infringed, the infringed party is entitled to remedies to recover for or reinforce his/her infringed rights.

Under the Act on the Employment, Etc. of Foreign Workers, a holder of either Non-professional Employment (E-9) or Working Visit (H-2) status may work as an employee for up to 3 years in the Republic of Korea. Foreign workers under Non-professional Employment (E-9) status can work again as an employee under the above Act only after the lapse of 6 months from the date of his/her last departure from the Republic of Korea.

A foreign worker who has entered Korea under status of stay eligible for employment shall file for alien registration and may work as an employee within the scope permitted under the relevant status of stay and the permitted period of stay. A foreign worker who changes or intends to change matters previously registered including details of alien registration, status of stay, period of stay, place of work, or place of residence shall report such changes or obtain permission of such changes under the Immigration Act.